Monday, June 25, 2012

Down Yonder- the zine.

Hey, I made a little zine! Down Yonder Volume 1: Marlene is finished, and I think it's kind of cute.



I was raised in the south, by southern parents. Even when I went vegetarian in the early 90’s, then vegan in 2001, my eating habits kept just a hint of my Georgia roots- a little deep fried, (eggless) mayonnaise laden, and kissed with a few prepackaged ingredients. I guess you can take the girl out of the trailer, but you can’t take the trailer out of the girl. Or something like that. I’m using the Down Yonder series as a way for me to dig deep into my personal food nostalgia, to explore where my current eating habits come from.
Marlene is my sweet Georgia mom. The first volume of Down Yonder is a collection of recipes inspired by mom (Marlene!) and by summertime in the south.

The recipes:

-Proper Sweet Tea
-Preserves Milkshake
-Savory Breakfast Jackpots
-Strawberry Salad with Candied Cashews and Buttermilk Dressing
-Kinda Spicy Potato Salad
-Summer Tomato Tart
-Squash ‘em Sandwiches
-Frito Corn Fritters with Green Onion Cream
-Snickers Cake
-No Bake Chocolate Cherry Bars

breakfast jackpots
Savory Breakfast Jackpots

frito corn fritters
Frito Corn Fritters

summer tomato tart
Summer Tomato Tart

While I can't imagine anyone being interested in this zine besides my mom, I am offering copies for $3.50 each plus shipping. For shipping within the U.S., add $2 shipping for one copy via First Class Mail. For shipping outside of the U.S. and for shipping of multiple copies, please send me an email so I can give you a shipping total. Payment through PayPal, please! My PayPal email address for payments and correspondence is leighsaluzzi (at) yahoo dot com.

7 comments:

glutenfreehappytummy.com said...

congrats on the zine! how exciting! and that tomato tart looks delicious!

dreaminitvegan said...

Nice! I love your theme and the food looks yummy!

Leigh said...

Thank you!

Jes said...

Yay, congrats on finishing it!

Elisabeth said...

Congrats! It looks beautiful and fun! I will be getting one of these zines after I am done with my diet. The Summer Tomato Tart is calling my name!

Keegan Spera said...

Have you tried a lot of May Wah's products? I'm switching back to vegetarian (hoping to move towards vegan eventually) and need to be able to work these items in (not just to show my hubby that they're delish, but for entertaining and for my own taste). Just curious :) Thanks for any input1

Leigh said...

Hi Keegan,

I do like most of the May Wah products I've tried. The Chicken Legs and chicken nuggets are a favorite, and the Citrus Sparerib Cutlets. I also like their prawns, though my husband does not. The only May Wah product I don't particularly care for is the bacon.